Saturday, March 5, 2011

Daves of My Life

I dont know why Dave was such a popular name in the 50s,  but I sure have known a shitload of Daves in my life.  Back in my yoot, guys had fewer names, there were always a bunch of Ricks, Robs, and Daves. 
I used to know so many Daves I had to give them all nicknames to keep them straight in my head.  Western Dave, Northern Dave, Teacher Dave, Crazy Dave, Cousin Dave, Other Cousin Dave, there were more. My bud lately of Toontown who was over for a visit, I tend to think of him by last name, like we did in grade 7 trying to be tough guys.
Western Dave I have lost track of, Northern Dave (used to be a miner in the Yukon) is a stay-home dad who plays weddings with his band on weekends. Teacher Dave had his liver n innards go seriously wrong a couple years ago, but you can find him on English Bay in his motorized wheelchair with a chess board and wanting to play for money. Crazy Dave wasnt that crazy when I gave him the tag, now re-acquainted after 15 yrs as Rickshaw Dave, hauls drunks around with his arms n legs in summer for a fee. Cousin Dave is fightin a losing battle with MS, peace buddy. Other Cousin Dave was in Rossland BC with a nice 67 Firebird, last I heard.
These are the Daves... the Daves of my life.

1 comment:

  1. My cousin Dave is my fave. In our teens people mistook us for either brother/sister or girlfriend/boyfriend. (Creepy I know).

    ReplyDelete