Saturday, April 7, 2012

the Easter weekend thing. not the island..

Late March to early April can be a bit emotionally charged for me. My dad's birthday March 15, his departure was on St Patty's day, 1998. My ma was born April 1, and she departed not long after that day, 8 yrs ago. I am used to bein an orphing, but I feel their presence in me around those weeks. 
Easter seems to coincide with the end of this period. In Chinese culture, they have Tombsweeper Day, to honor the ancestors, pretty close to this time as well.  Its death and rebirth time, spring is here in the northern hemisphere (nod to my Kiwi n Aussie mates).

This year, I had company for this time. My good woman has been living with me n the fine dog since June 1 last year. Its also death and rebirth time for her, her ol ma hasnt got many weeks or months left.  The rebirth is the spring; even at 54 N. lat. we have a brave tiger lily with about 5 inches of leaves pokin up, mere inches from a melting snowbank.
Good Friday dinner: I got a big ol ham on sale, nice hickory smoked shank, and cooked it up slow, put some slashes in the skin to make cracklin. Two pots of mixed veg, very colorful, especially the organic green beans with chopped bits of red pepper n oignon. Also broc n carrots, and little potaters boiled.
The gal got some Peek Freans English style biccies for dessert.
Had my old friend and sis-in-law over, she brought her coworker, who is an interesting hobbity little dude. They market reused building materials, nice old doors and woodwork, a worthy enterprise.  Dinner got a little cooled while we were swilling some Big Rock (TM) Grasshopper Wheat Ale (commercial plug), but we warmed it up and chowed down, then I went into protein coma in the armchair while they chatted, another holiday tradition of mine.
I had done the cooking and even vacuumed prior, so my good woman did a sterling effort on cleaning the kitchen after.  I had to work a half-day today (Saturday) to get my stat pay for Friday, so now I am chillin with some Jameson's and a tall bottle of Anarchist Amber Ale (cannery brewing co., Penticton, BC) and ready for a wee pissup and a sleep-in tomorrow.

Here's to the ancestors, to JC the rebel, to the reborn lilies and the dogs eatin the dinner scraps. Shalom!

No comments:

Post a Comment