Sunday, December 18, 2011

commerce and good vibes in the big shitty, the nice end

Just got back from a trip up to Beer Store Corner, as I call it, Whyte n 112.  They had a sweet deal on turkeys at the Sobeys, but there was a sign which I didnt see , a caveat that you had to buy 35 bucks worth of groceries to get the turkeys at 97 cents/lb. 
(we are supposed to be centigrade, or by the Kg, but we function in both, up here in the Great White North).
Got into a little wrangle with the Asian gal at the till, she of the culture that loves discounts and haggling, she had to call a manager.  All I bought was some frozen french fries, a 2 litre chocolate soy milk for my gal, and a 9 lb. turkey.  Less than 35 bones.  The large and previously bitch-face manager came up, had to call head office, ended up giving it to me at advertised price. Score! Had nice convo with clerk-san in the meantime.
Then around the corner to BrownGuysLiquorInc.  The guy who works Sunday is a biz major, I think, the other guys are mostly IT.  I bought my usual Sunday 12 of Brewhouse and tall Beck's. Got into a convo with buddy, he offered me a free tall can of Original 16, made by Great Western Grain, also.
 I shared a tale with him:  this brewery was created by workers who used to work for one of the big 3 Canadian breweries in Saskatoon, which wanted to close the plant. They pooled their pension funds, kicked in some dough and bought the plant. Now runs as Great Western Grain, makes Brewhouse, a few other brews, all not bad, drinkable and cheap, and apparently they are trying to tap the higher-end market with Original 16. I will tell you how it is after its chilled.

I tried to tap buddy for a free beer glass too, but he held firm. He is a good marketer, but not a sucka. Peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment