Thursday, February 10, 2011

train sounds, peeing with dogs, courtin distant gals

I grew up hearing the Scrap Metal Express goin out to Selkirk north of Winnpeg, clacking and hootin down the track, echoing across the airfield behind my parents' place. Then in my 20s I live in the Nortend, within hearing of the big railyard that separated the city. Mostly heard booms of cars clanking together, squeal of wheels, but still a sound I like, if it isnt too close.  In Edmonton, my adopted home for 1/3 of my life, I used to hear the traincars clankin and puffin from 3-4 different places I lived around Old Strathcona, and even hear them from over here in McKernan sometimes. Trains kick ass.
If am out peeing with the dogs, I do.  Was just out doing that, my Germ Shep is right feisty tonight. He had some gravy on his kibble and also some dissolved glucosamine for his achey hips.  Gives me a reason to dance to the weather, having a dog in the yard. I peed out a couple beers by the tree where the dogs go, then kicked the tennis ball around and did a little stompy dance with him , also diggin the blue clouds on the horizon and the warm winter wind. Was -18 this morning, but about zero C. now.
Then the basement dude let out his Rottie n Husky, they gave me recognition as alpha male, then peed and got to chomping on ice chunks, all together.  Frozen snow, more than hard ice, makes for cool dog water. I think they were showing off, but I accept the salute.

The last topic? well, I have had good luck meeting very smart interesting women the past few years, but all online, and they come to visit and it goes one way or another, but I think it makes more sense to get to know a gal through many many words and gain their trust, and have a short or long romance, rather than just get drunk n screw after the bar. But I have certainly done my share of that.  Its great for people who have grown tired of the bar, but I am a bit of an exception, cuz only smart chicks who can put together a paragraph or 5 keep my interest.  Still love the 06-07 gal, now having a hard go in NC, bless her. Still good friends with the BC gal (southern AB for a while, but a BC gal at heart), and quite enjoying the Winterpeg gal, building an experience and talking.
As we sail into the Mystic, cue Van the Man..

No comments:

Post a Comment